3 reasons that I love musicals so very, very much

3 reasons that I love musicals so very, very much 


As you may have guessed from a number of music puns I have made in the past, I really love my music but my favourite type of music is that that comes from the stage. 

That's right, I'm talking about MUSICALS (insert jazz hands here).

In this post, I'm going to break down the 3 reasons why I love musicals so very, very much, what some of my favourite musicals are and how they have surprisingly helped me in my quest to improve my mental health.

So, let's say "hello" to all the reasons I love musicals (but my name certainly isn't elder price). 

1. My grandma.


Very early on in my life (around the age of 4/5) my grandma was always showing me programs from the musicals she was performing in her early 20's (I think it was around the early 1960's) and about how much she loved it. Unfortunately she was forced to stop once she married my Grandad and became pregnant with my aunt and even though she says she never regretted stopping performing she was always sure to keep up with the theatre, get her two children involved (my aunt and my dad) and that then lead to her introduction it to me, and since then I've been hooked.

2. A school trip I once went on.


Now I may have been interested in musical theatre since a young age but I didn't have the chance to actually see a musical until I was 14 years only and went on a 3-day school trip to London where I got to see 3 musicals, THAT'S ONE MUSICAL A DAY AND I WAS IN HEAVEN!! The first musical we saw was Les Miserable and since I saw it, it has been my favourite musical of all time. The struggle of Jean Val Jean has since remained me of the struggle I have gone through with my own brain and that very often I have found myself trying to run away and distance my self from the problems that I have with it. I then also saw Blood Brothers and Wicked which were both masterpieces in their own right, but Les Miserable will always have a special place in my heart.

3. The way it makes me feel.


Whenever I feel my anxiety or depression rising, I always know that one way I can cope with it is to go to my laptop, go to YouTube and type in musical songs and I will instantly be transported (figeratlivly of course, otherwise I think I would start to panic a little more if I was transported away from my house) to somewhere else where I don't have to worry about anything. If I feel the anxiety rising I will often put slower songs on such as "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserable or "Who I would be" from Shrek the Musical. If I feel my depression rising I'll put on a happier, more lively song such as, well, to be honest, any song from either the Hairspray or The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

And that about does it for 3 reasons why I love musicals so very, very much. I could have gone on for so much longer but I didn't want to bore you with all the little details I know about musicals. That and I don't want to subject you to any more of my awful musical puns.

Be sure to comment below what your favourite musical is or whether or not you actually like musicals, but for now,

Be happy, be healthy, from Abbie xx 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The things no one tells you about depression and anxiety

When you feel like you're wearing a mask...

So I've been put on bed rest by my doctor...